Tuesday Thoughts for May 1, 2012-National STROKE Awareness Month (Vol.5, Iss.1)
This month I will highlight and bring awareness to National Stroke Awareness
National Stroke Awareness Month
National Stroke Awareness Month takes place in May every year. On May 11, 1989, President George Bush signed Presidential Proclamation 5975 designating May asNational Stroke Awareness Month at the urging of National Stroke Association. Since then, National Stroke Association has been honoring this special time of the year to increase public awareness of stroke in an effort to conquer it.
Over the years, public education campaigns have been conducted during May to increase awareness of different aspects of stroke that directly affect specific populations, such as women or those at high risk for stroke. Today, National Stroke Association continues educating the public through campaigns such as the Faces of Stroke℠ and by designing easy-to-use tools and resources that initiate individuals and groups to raise awareness on a local level.
What is a stroke?
A stroke or “brain attack” occurs when a blood clot blocks an artery (a blood vessel that carries blood from the heart to the body) or a blood vessel (a tube through which the blood moves through the body) breaks, interrupting blood flow to an area of the brain. When either of these things happen, brain cells begin to die and brain damage occurs.
When brain cells die during a stroke, abilities controlled by that area of the brain are lost. These abilities include speech, movement and memory. How a stroke patient is affected depends on where the stroke occurs in the brain and how much the brain is damaged. http://www.stroke.org/site/PageNavigator/HOME
Turning Back Is NOT An Option!
~Words and Thoughts Artist~
mouth, sweet sounds to my ears.The
results of a love affair between
pen and paper, words”
- Know the signs to prevent a stroke (naplesnews.com)
- Thursday Thinking by YoTrip for April 26, 2012- POET’S NEVER DIE (Vol.4, Iss.4) (yotrip.wordpress.com)
- Stroke Treatment: Stopping Stroke With Medications (everydayhealth.com)
- What Are The Signs Of A Stroke? (answers.com)
- Stroke Treatment – Why Every Second Counts (everydayhealth.com)
- Stroke Awareness Month is a reminder: ‘Time is brain’ (click2houston.com)
- Types of Strokes – Hemorrhagic and Ischemic (everydayhealth.com)
- Stroke victim praises ‘friend who saved her life’ (hartlepoolmail.co.uk)
- Health News: Stroke survivors ‘feel abandoned’ by lack of community care (walesonline.co.uk)
- National Stroke Awareness Month: Telestroke (thielst.typepad.com)