Thursday Thinking by YoTrip for March 8, 2012-Honoring Women Globally (Vol.3, Iss.1)
Honoring Women Globally
Today the world recognizes and honors women all over the planet. Let me simply say: Happy International Women’s Day! Read below to find out more information on the history of this day.
International Women’s Day has been observed since in the early 1900’s, a time of great expansion and turbulence in the industrialized world that saw booming population growth and the rise of radical ideologies.
Great unrest and critical debate was occurring amongst women. Women’s oppression and inequality was spurring women to become more vocal and active in campaigning for change. Then in 1908, 15,000 women marched through New York City demanding shorter hours, better pay and voting rights.
In accordance with a declaration by the Socialist Party of America, the first National Woman’s Day (NWD) was observed across the United States on 28 February. Women continued to celebrate NWD on the last Sunday of February until 1913.
On the last Sunday of February, Russian women began a strike for “bread and peace” in response to the death over 2 million Russian soldiers in war. Opposed by political leaders the women continued to strike until four days later the Czar was forced to abdicate and the provisional Government granted women the right to vote. The date the women’s strike commenced was Sunday 23 February on the Julian calendar then in use in Russia. This day on the Gregorian calendar in use elsewhere was 8 March.
Annually on 8 March, thousands of events are held throughout the world to inspire women and celebrate achievements. A global web of rich and diverse local activity connects women from all around the world ranging from political rallies, business conferences, government activities and networking events through to local women’s craft markets, theatric performances, fashion parades and more. http://www.internationalwomensday.com
Turning Back Is NOT An Option!
~Words and Thoughts Artist~
mouth, sweet sounds to my ears.The
results of a love affair between
pen and paper, words”
- International Women’s Day celebrated around the world (oup.com)
- International Women’s Day History (femaleimagination.wordpress.com)
- INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY (Международный женский день) (ofgodthegospelandglamour.wordpress.com)
- International Women’s Day – celebrating the positives (jbaynews.com)
- International Women’s Day: Empower Rural Women; End Hunger and Poverty (ibtimes.com)
- International Women’s Day (theobamacrat.com)
- International Women’s Day (freeyoursoulthroughwords.wordpress.com)
- The REAL International Woman´s day (fourbluehills.com)
- Google Doodle Celebrates Women’s Day (mashable.com)
- International Women’s Day – what is important? (allaboutwordswa.wordpress.com)
- International Women’s Day 2012: Empowering Rural Women To End Hunger And Poverty – The Huffington Post (moroccotomorrow.org)
- Honoring the Women In My Life: International Women’s Day (bilerico.com)